I've seen a lot of people get burned by Web site designers. How do I know you're credible?
We think the best way to prove our credibility would be to look at the sites we've already created and talk to the people we've worked with. From our portfolio page, you can contact any one of our clients. Be sure and ask them what it's like to work with us. Go ahead and ask them tough questions. Sure, we've encounter obstacles along the way, what's important is how we handle the adversity.
How much will my web site cost?
The cost will vary greatly depending on the complexity of the project. A site that is filled with custom graphics, custom database, and multimedia will cost more than a basic site with a few pictures and a small amount of text. We have created an in depth questionnaire to assure that we are all on the same playing field. This questionnaire will help us in determining the cost of your web site. Once determined we write up a contract and get to work .
Most of our sites are in the $2000-$5,000 range. We take on both smaller and larger projects too. Our hourly rate is currently $75 an hour
This kid in high school I know says he knows HTML and he'll only charge me $35/page. Why are you so expensive?
Just because you "know HTML" or have a HTML editor, doesn't mean you can design an effective site. There is no substitute for years of training and experience. We test things such as browser compatibility, ease and effectiveness of navigation, loadtime, the use of colors, design, and code. We have been in business since 1994 and have experienced many unique situations. What you're really paying for is this experience.
Do you re-design existing sites?
Yes. We will do a full evaluation of your current site and work closely with you to create a new site that conveys your company message.
Can I update my site myself?
Sure, if you're comfortable with making changes to your site we see no reason why you shouldn't. We will even train you and your staff if you need help. We don't recommend making major changes to your site, it can cause a lot of unnecessary stress if you aren't careful. It can also end up costing you more money in the long run if you have to hire someone to correct your mistakes. Unfortunately we've seen a few companies in this predicament by trying to save a few dollars.
How long will it take to complete my site?
This really depends on how fast we receive all of the site information form you, how big the site is going to be and a plethora of other factors. Once we've evaluated your site request we can give you an estimated timeline for completion.
What kind of naming options do I have for my site?
There are a couple of options:
1. Register a domain name (i.e. www.yourcompany.com). You can check on available names and register via the www.interNic.net web site. As of November 1, 1998 there fee is as follows : $70 for first 2 years - $35 annual fee thereafter.
2. A virtual domain name (i.e. www.yourisp/yourcompany.com). This is something you can usually get for free from your Internet Service Provider.
What do the different extension on a URL mean?
Extensions such as .com are used for commercial web sites (i.e. www.summittech.com), .org is used for non-profit organizations, .edu is used for education organizations, .net for network providers, .mil for military, .gov for government, and extensions for other countries such as .ch for China, .jp for Japan, etc.
How do I know if the name I want is taken?
Go to www.interNIC.net and start searching for names. If it is already taken it will tell you who it is owned by.l
Does Summit Technologies, Inc. offer web site hosting?
Summit Technologies, Inc. specializes in the design process of web sites. We do not host sites, however, we are more than happy to set you up with an ISP that fits your needs.
What Questions should I ask an ISP?
If you are going to research ISP's on your own, we have listed some questions you should ask the ISP before signing on with them.
- When do you shut down to back up? For how long? How often? You don't want them backing up on the weekend or during peak "surfing" hours.
- Do you provide logs so I can tell who and how many people are visiting? How detailed are they?
- What happens if your server shuts down? Can you transfer our information to a different server or do we just have to wait it out?
- Are there multiple connections?
- What kind of connections do you provide (i.e. Tier 1, 2, 3, DS3, etc.)?
- Cost and what kind of packages do you offer?
- If you plan on doing electronic commerce make sure they will allow your scripts or other software to be placed on their server.
- Do you offer secure servers? This would be important if you were going to allow credit card transfers over your web site.
How many people are on the web?
According to NUA Internet Surveys, as of November 1998, there are estimated to be 149.75 million people on the web. As of August 1998, there are estimated to be 79 million people on the interent in the USA alone! (source: CommerceNet/Nielsen)
Why should my company have a web site? And why should it be created by Summit Technologies, Inc.?
"Top 10" reasons why your company should have Summit Tech., Inc. create your web site:
10. There are 3 million new internet users every 3 months. There are over 79 million user on the web - that's in the USA alone!
9. Summit Technologies, Inc. will work with you to create a survey for your customers. Find out what your customers would like to see on your web site before it's created!
8. Your web site will be open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Potential customers can learn more about your company while you sleep!
7. Summit Technologies, Inc. will come to YOU! Give us a call and we will set up a time to visit with YOU at YOUR office.
6. The internet is world wide - your marketing dollar can reach people from all parts of the world!
5. Summit Technologies, Inc. is experienced in finding out how YOU want to represent YOUR company on the web. We can use current marketing plans that have worked for your company or come up with something completely different!
4. You've got to keep up with the Jonses! Having a web site is almost a standard with business marketing today. You don't want the competition winning because they are on the web and you're not!
3. Your customers expect to find you on the web. Have you ever had a customer ask for your web site address?
2. Summit Technologies, Inc. has been in business since 1994 and has the experience and resources to create an outstanding web site at a fair price for your company!
1. It's FUN for YOU and Summit Tech!
How do people find me on the web?
There are several ways. Through typing in keywords at search engines (i.e. yahoo.com, altavista.digital.com, etc.), through other sites that "link" to your page, and by typing in your URL (i.e. www.yourcompany.com) in their browser (i.e. Netscape, Internet Explorere, etc.).
Can I tell how many people have visited my site?
Yes, if your ISP provides a log that you have access to. Most provide activity logs with their basic hosting services.